Wednesday 4 January 2012

Photo blog: bullets, blood and bravery

Wow, that last post took quite a bit out of me folks, so I decided to go easy on myself for this post.  Well, easy as in I won't be doing much writing but posting some photos instead.  These give some visual context.

Below are a series of photos which depict the state in which I found C's silver BMW after he was shot.















The next series of photos depict my husband C at various stages of his recovery after he came home from the hospital.


I turned our TV lounge into a bedroom / lounge for C during the time of his convalescence at home.  The animals kept him company and family helped to rig up grips above the bed for C to lift himself into a sitting position. C always had a willing smile, no matter how much pain he was in.


C's favourite physiotherapist, JB - or as he nick-named her, the physio terrorist.


Posing for a photograph with some of the EM Ts who saved C's life. They came to visit C some months after the incident, declaring his survival an absolute miracle.


Getting out and about - our first trip away from home after C's miraculous survival. His parents arranged a trip to the Kruger National Game Park and it was great to be outside again after months of cabin fever at home.


The Illizarov device in place for growing the missing bone in C's left leg.


Coping with swelling of his leg and foot after surgery.  These were difficult times for C.


Visitor from Ghana with the wheel chair ramp my dad built in the background


Graduation to crutches and a visit with some baby lions.


Increasingly independent on a single crutch - holidaying in the Namib dessert and Etosha Game Park in Namibia. 


 
No crutches and with much less leg swelling - enjoying 4x4 adventure in Namibia.


I can't help reflecting as I post these photos what remarkable courage my man has shown,  clawing his way back to life and walking again today.  This remarkable man is my husband and I am married to a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment